Saturday, May 11, 2013

The First Home Hatched Chick!

The little Silkie hen, Moe, has been setting for a long time. When I saw that she was collecting her eggs and not going out to forage with the other chickens much, I shut her in her little coop. She was setting on 4 eggs for a week but was begging to be let out for a while so on April 16, I opened her door. 

I was puttering around the Raken port and noticed that there was only 1 egg left. Oh no! Some dog that had a very guilty look about him, walked away. 

Needless to say, I felt very bad. So I shut little Moe in her cage again. I took 4 eggs from the layers boxes and hoped that they were fertile. The chances of that were good as my Cornish rooster likes his time with the hens!

Today the long wait is almost over! Little Moe had one little yellow chick under her wings this morning. I noticed a piece of blue egg shell so I knew that at least one had hatched. It was one that I had taken from the layer box. So this little one is half Americauna and half Cornish. Moe is still sitting on the others so hopefully soon there will be a nice little flock for her. 

I really like the Silkie chickens. Their eggs are small but not so small that you feel silly using them. They are so people friendly and they don't travel too far. And they can't fly over the fence!


No comments:

Post a Comment