Sunday, May 5, 2013

New Rabbits, Processed Chicken & More!

After our great trip to tour Polyface, we went to pick-up the new Silver Fox does. A doe is a female rabbit, with a buck being a male, just like deer and goats. The Silver Fox breed is a heritage breed and is on the threatened list of the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy.

I had been studying all the breeds of rabbits that are the best for meat. The Silver Fox is one of the top breeds. While I like my two breeds of rabbits (New Zealand Whites and Californians) I just couldn't stop thinking about the Silver Fox breed.

When I saw that Skyview Acres had Silver Fox does, I immediately contacted them about acquiring some. Since we would be in at Polyface in Virginia, it seemed like it was meant to be to go a bit further to pick them up. Arrangements were made and everything worked out!

We now have three lovely does. I have to admit that it took me a long time to name my other rabbits but these girls were named immediately. The two older sisters are Brie and Heather. They are named after the two girls that we met at the Polyface store. The other little doe is named Poly!

Whippoorwill Farm in Maine was making a big trip delivering his good stock of Silver Fox rabbits. I had contacted Jeff when I saw his trip plans and met him in Greer, SC.That is where I picked up Gilbert, my new Silver Fox buck.

The Silver Fox are still in quarantine for a few weeks. They are just lovely, friendly rabbits! I am excited to have my first litters!

Also talking rabbits, it was time to process some of the growouts last week. We loaded them into the chicken transport cages. They happen to work perfect for rabbits too! I felt a bit sad as we drove to the Foothills Processing Plant. But I just kept telling myself that I gave the rabbits a good life, I appreciated them and this is what I was raising them for. I still felt sad. As we waited for ours to be processed that day, I watched a few videos on my phone that had to do with processing. I did feel better after I watched them.

The plant is clean as a whistle, well run and very proud of the job that they do. I had decided to have my rabbits cut up, it costs a bit more but I think that is the best way to package them. After we brought them home, I put them in the refrigerator for 48 hours to age. Then I took some up to the Mill Spring Farm Store to sell. While I had eaten rabbit alot, it had been a while. Russell didn't remember eating it at all. So I cooked one up for us and we had it for dinner and it was delicious! Thank you rabbits!

A few weeks ago, Russell borrowed all the processing equipment for chickens. He set it up at the house as he still doesn't have the electric service at the farm (soon I hope!). He processed the first batch of Cornish X for the 2013 year. I even helped out, he showed me how to eviscerate and I did an ok job.

He now has 100 or so birds out on pasture and 100 or so in the brooder right now. The weather has been so cold and wet that he has lost some in the past few days. Hopefully they will grow enough so they will not smother each other to stay warm. And hopefully the weather will change!

So right now there are meat birds and rabbits at the farm in growout pens. The layers at the farm are safe in the feathernet fence and the Barred Rocks pullets will join the layers soon. The horses are doing well and respecting the electric fence too.

We have gotten some of the garden in between rain storms. Time will tell if some of what we put in will have to be replanted do to too much rain. However the blueberry bushes are doing great!

No comments:

Post a Comment