Sunday, March 3, 2013

Growing like crazy!

The new batch of meat birds are just over two weeks old and they are twice the size of the new Barred Rock chicks that are just a few days older! They are all doing good, thank goodness.

Cornish X's at two weeks old

The eggs are selling great! We try to keep some at our store and also have them for sale at the Polk County Farm Store in Mill Spring. We have been selling some chicken as well. We roast one every week or two and we are still so happy with how good they are.

Russ helped make the first pasture grow-out pen for the rabbits. I am thrilled with how it turned out! Now we just have to build a bunch more. Each one will hold about 5 or 6 rabbits and will be moved every day. The rabbits will be in the pens for about a month or so. I am still working on a time frame between weaning the litters and when they make the move to the pens.

PGP - Pasture Grow-out Pen
The worms! The worms are doing good as they are multiplying. I have them in bins in a room of our house that is located under our living room. That room was my office years ago, was transformed to a feed/storage room and now is my worm room!

I did make up some worm composting start kits and have them for sale at the Farm Store for now. If anyone had told me a year ago that I would be raising worms I would have told them that they were delusional!
Worm Composting Started Kits

No comments:

Post a Comment