Friday, January 18, 2013

The Last of the First Birds

On Wednesday Russell and I crated up the last of the birds for processing. He has sold some to people that wanted small flocks. So 27 of the last remaining birds took a little trip to Restoration Farm. Dawn Jordan is good enough to let us use her place for the processing process!

I wasn't sure about watching the process. However I did have a request for a cleaver so I drove in just to drop it off. I ended up staying just about all afternoon.

Along with our birds, Dawn had some Red Rangers and the Polk County School farm had some Cornish Cross (X) to process. There were a number of students to help along with the two Ag teachers. Everyone pitched in and got the job done. (I took pictures and tried to stay out of the way!) The weather was not too bad for an outside event in the middle of January, thank goodness.

I was proud of Russell as I watched him coach and teach the students how to eviscerate a chicken. He even instructed his old high school Ag teacher. I mean 'old' as in former!

I had purchased a vacuum sealer so after Russell helped to clean up, he brought the chicken to the store. We weighed each one and the vacuum packed it. Instead of freezing them right away, I had decided to age them in the refrigerator for 48 hours. I have read that is a good idea as it will bring out even more of the flavor of the meat.

The birds are now for sale at the store and also at the Mill Spring Farm Store!













No comments:

Post a Comment